Sunday, January 22, 2012

Saturdays are entirely optional at NEB. We work a half day, and it is a much more relaxed atmosphere. However, choosing to work leaves me with only one day to sleep in as work still begins at 7:30. As I had worked a full week, I was being paid time and a half for all my hours on Saturday. I chose to brave the snow storm and go in to work. Matt and Stefan wanted the sleep.

The roads were slippery, but the volvo drove like a champ, and I made it safely. Only my supervisor, John, and three other guys chose to come in. We continued to work on fairing the deck-hull joint. First, sanding the exterior and filling the small overlap. We used a filler called red balloons to thicken the epoxy and then frosted the joint using cake bags. I then helped Bucky fix the fillets between the deck and the bulkheads. Tomorrow, we will grind the proper radius into the deck-hull joint. Hopefully there will be enough work to go around.



Staten  Island 9/11 Memorial

We also spent some time on Saturday talking about 9/11. The connection is simple. This memorial was built by NEB. It is made of fiberglass, and was shipped by barge to the site. Workers from NEB went and worked there for weeks assembling it. It is expected to last for a long time.


View from the workshop on Saturday



Snowy Roads and a jackknifed truck







1 comment: